Comfort Food to warm you up from within. Is that what you are longing for right now? Then we have just the recipe you need- Chicken Pot Pie: Creamy Filling with a Buttery and Flaky Pie Crust. Treat yourself to a warm slice of this pie. It does not get more comforting than this!
Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Cold Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbspn Sugar
- 1 Tspn Salt
- ½ Cup Cold Buttermilk
- 1-2 Tbspns Cold Water
- 1 Well Beaten Egg for the Final Egg Wash
- Combine the Flour, Sugar and Salt in a mixing bowl.
- Toss the Diced Cold Butter Cubes into the flour mixture and pulse with a blender till the mixture is loose and crumbly. Freeze this mixture for 15 Minutes.
- Remove from freezer and then add the cold buttermilk. Stir and knead gently until it comes together.
- You can add cold water 1 tbspn at a time if the dough is too dry.
- Divide the dough into two halves and roll it out into Discs.
- Wrap the Pastry Discs in Cling foil and place in refrigerator until it is time to bake.
Pot Pie Filling
- ½ kg Cooked & Shredded Chicken
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion Chopped Finely
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced Finely
- 1 Stalk Celery Chopped Finely
- 1 Cup Carrots Diced
- 1 Cup Peas
- ½ Cup Mushroom Sliced Thin
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tspn Salt
- ½ Tspn Pepper
- ¼ Tspn Thyme
- ¼ Tspn Parsley
- Heat Butter in a skillet. Add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté until tender.
- Add the carrots, mushroom and peas and toss well.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and heavy cream and whisk until the mixture is lump-free.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes until it thickens to a gravy consistency.
- Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside while the pie dough discs are rolled out.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the refrigerated dough discs on a slightly floured surface.
- Place the crust on a pie dish.
- Spoon in the prepared filling.
- Place the second crust on top. Fold and crimp the edges.
- Cut small cross slits on the top crust.
- Brush the egg wash on top and sprinkle with some salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Use a Pie Shield to prevent the edges from browning too fast.
To all our dear Readers who do not prefer chicken, there is no need to fret. This Savoury Pot Pie is just as delicious without the shredded chicken. Toss in two more cups assorted veggies of your choice instead of the meat and enjoy.
PS- Broccoli and Zucchini incorporates well in this dish. It not only enhances the flavour and texture of the dish, but it also adds gorgeous colours to every scrumptious bite!